As I've mentioned before, I'm a Photo Major at the local college. I'm finally a Senior. Yay!
Anyway, I've noticed a disturbing trend in my classes. There are "cliques". The "cool kids" and the "not cool kids". Now, I know cliques have always been a part of schools, and it's never really bothered me. Until now.
In high school, I was in the band, and was in the "pretty cool" clique within the band. (Yeah, there were cool kids in the band. Just look at me!). Everyone wanted to be friends with us and hang out with us. Those were, and still are, some of my best friends.
When I started college, I knew 1 girl, but quickly became friends with their roomies and neighbors. We had a little group that hung out all the time. Eventually, they all moved away. (I'm so not exaggerating when I say that). About that time, I started the Photo Program. In this program, when you start, you take classes with the same core group of people (about 25 people). Ok, cool, I can deal with that. But lately, it seems as though the "cool" clique is more prevalent. I guess it's more noticeable now that my friendship circle has dwindled drastically since The Big Night. Ya know, it would be nice to be invited out for drinks or something. Granted, I don't ask them or try and get involved with the clique. I'm the girl that comes in, gets her stuff done, and goes home. Always have been, and this semester, I won't have the time or energy to goof off.
I don't know what to do. I know after I graduate, I probably won't see almost all of these people again. And you know what? I'm cool with that. I'm not a huge fan of most of the people in my classes. I do like a select few, though. With the courses I'm taking this semester, it would probably be better to NOT be distracted by all those people. I just need to go in and get my stuff done so I can graduate, even if it makes me look anti-social.
How do you all deal with "cliques"?
3 comments:
I can relate to this in a work aspect, because my office is very clique-y. But I'm just not into cliques. I would prefer to do my work and go home. I also don't care if I look anti-social. The fact is, I'll be better off in the end because I'm doing the best job I possibly can.
Whenever I feel like I'm being left out or that being a part of a clique is lonely, I just remind myself about what's become of all of the "cool kids" from high school. Most have dropped out of college, had multiple children with different people, and are just generally screw-ups. That usually makes me feel better about what path I've chosen. :)
Screw it. You'll probably never see these people again after you graduate. Let them be stuck up. Just get everything done and get out of there. :)
I can definitely relate. I'm in a sorority and there are SEVERAL cliques within this group of 80 women. Honestly, the best way is to just try to make friends with select people and then eventually become friends with all of them, if you like them and want to be their friends. Otherwise, I'd just ignore it and focus on other friendships!
Post a Comment