Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Box.

Almost every girl has one, but none of us talk about it. This box holds everything, or not very much at all. This box that almost every girl has (or should have)? The Ex-Boyfriend Box.

Mine is in my closet in my bedroom in Orlando. It holds the contents of 4 relationships with 3 guys (I dated one twice), and various other boys I "was talking to". These relationships ranged from a few weeks to 9 months. The Box holds everything from hats and clothes to pictures and movie tickets. The Box is full but not overflowing. I've looked through it many times since I put the last items in it. Each time I look through it, the memories aren't as vivid as they were previously. And you know what? I'm okay with that. I know the memories will always be with me, and they don't need to be in the forefront of my mind. I think it's therapeutic to look at all that stuff every now and then. It reminds me of how I got to where I am today.

Since The Big Night, all pictures and other knick knacks have been put in my office and are waiting their place in The Box. I need to start a new one, and need to figure out if I want to keep it here or at my parents house. For now, I think I'll keep it up here so I can add to it if I need to. The collection going into this Box will mainly be pictures, since he took all his stuff, and I didn't steal many clothing articles from him, like in past relationships. All the knick knacks that were his, he took with him. Which is also different from past breakups. I don't have much to remember him by, except for a condo that was his, too, for a few years. Suppressing those memories will be a little more difficult than putting stuff in a box. I know it'll take time, but I know eventually they will go into the Ex-Boyfriend Box in my mind.

Do you have an Ex-Boyfriend Box?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had an ex-boyfriend box, but I got rid of a lot of that stuff before I went to college. It was kind of like starting over on a clean slate for me. I'm sure there are a few things left over here and there. But to me a lot of that stuff brought back too many bad memories.

(((hugs))) You will get through this.

Erin said...

The other day I finally picked up my "Letters from a Soldier" box that I've been keeping at Dad's. It holds all correspondence between Big Ex and I while he was in Iraq + various cards/love notes.

That's the only box I have. However, I have two scrapbooks (the second unfinished) for Big Ex and I and a scrapbook of J and I. I want to finish the one for J and I (at least until the end of 2008 -- I don't know if I want to put one together for 2009).

I still can't bring myself to read the letters from Big Ex and I and I haven't touched the scrapbook J and I have, but I know one day I'll want to so that's why I keep them.

Anonymous said...

I have 3 of them.... hahaha I sitll look through them every once and awhile

CIP said...

I have a box for The Ex, I really want to throw it away, but it has so much history. I really am done with it though!