3 days in a row? I think that's a new record!
So, as an art major (Photography to be exact- You want your picture taken?), I take a lot of art classes. I know, big shocker right there. Well, these art classes take place in the Fine Arts Center. Whew, your head spinning yet? Along with art history classes, there are printing, drawing, painting, screen print, and music all in the same 1 block (pretty much) radius.
Well, a little bit more about me- I played the flute for 7, that's right 7, years. I started in middle school so I didn't have to join P.E. or Chorus. I stuck with it in high school and am so glad I did. Those were some of the best times of my high school "career". Marching Band was so fun, and I made so many friends doing it.
Anyhoodle, back to the point of this entry. Walking around in this building, I can always hear someone practicing, or the classes going on. It usually doesn't bother me. But sometimes, I get this pang of emotion because I miss playing my flute and I miss marching band. I gave it up cold turkey the night of Graduation. I played it one last time per tradition, and that was it. 5 years later, and I am starting to have withdrawals. A little late, but hey, give me a break.
It doesn't help that my brother is a Marching Chief at Florida State University. Going to the football games and watching him march at halftime makes that emotion 100 times more prevalent.
If there weren't stupid Home Owner's Association rules about playing instruments at the condo complex I live in, I'd probably start playing again. My flute is in the closet in my office. The HOA is the only thing stopping me. Well, besides my fear that I will suck.
Have you given up anything "cold turkey" and ended up missing it hard core?
2 comments:
Does Coke count? :)
i miss spinning
and dance...i miss dance way more...
like if my pointe shoes werent hard i would put them back on! But after 2 yrs of no wear they will be hard as rocks. If i didnt have emmy I would try to get back into it, but if i didnt have emmy i wouldnt have stopped. Kind of a catch 22
Post a Comment