Monday, September 14, 2009

football.

I'm a huge college football fan. I've been a Florida State Seminoles fan since 1st grade. Yes, 1st grade. I've rooted on my Seminoles since I was about 6. I may do have a huge old man crush on Coach Bobby Bowden. (Don't judge me. I love him). My dream of meeting him finally came true last season. Dad and I went to a Booster Luncheon and we sat at the head table with Bobby and a few other notables. After lunch, before everyone could bombard him, the organizer made sure I got to meet him and got all the autographs and pictures my little heart desired. He signed the autobiography book I bought a few hours before hand. It was one of the best days of my life. =)

While I'm a huge fan, I don't know all the ins and outs of the game. I'm not ashamed to admit it. While sitting in the stands rooting on my boys, or watching on TV, I can follow the game. I usually have a few questions when something I haven't seen happens (usually a flag). I love the excitement of sitting in Doak Campbell Stadium watching my favorite team. (We have season tickets since my brother is in the WORLD FAMOUS Marching Chiefs).

What I hate is people who are not Seminole fans trying to belittle my team and tell me they are losers and asking why I am still a fan. Yes, we might be having a few losing and/or rebuilding seasons. Does that mean I should give up on my team and go jump on the bandwagon of a "better" team? I ask these people if they would do that if they were in my situation. They say "no". So I ask them why should I? I'm not going to be a fair weather fan and abandon my team when they are down. If you do that, you're not a REAL fan.

By the way, we won on Saturday. It was a wet and cold game. But we pulled it off in the last 3 minutes. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this. well put. true fan.

JB said...

So cool that you got to meet coach. I would LOVE to meet ours! I have a crush too! lol

I agree with you. Real fans don't jump ship. You can't have a perfect season every year, that'd be boring...