Well, I've read everyone's 9/11 post, so here's mine.
I was sitting in my sophomore Chemistry class with Mrs. Cretin. When it happened, Mr. Listort was running up and down the hallways yelling at all the teachers to turn on their TV's. The whole class stared in shock at the news and what was happening. This continued all day. No lesson plans were taught. Just the news. Then, we were told that there would be no extra curriculars for an indefinite period of time. Marching Band was just starting for the year, so I was glad to have a few days off. However, I didn't like the circumstances we got our little break for. That first football game back was very emotional.
I personally did not know anyone who worked in or around the Towers, in the Pentagon, or in PA. Since the attacks though, I have had quite a few friends join the military, or I met people who were in the military. By the numbers (good idea Kelli!), I've known 3 Marines who went to Iraq AND Afghanistan. I've known 2 Sailors who were deployed over there. Now, I can add a Soldier to that list. (I think that's all my boys).
When they deploy, it's not just the parents and girlfriends who worry about them. It's all their friends, too. Friends need the support just like the parents and girl/boyfriends. (Off my soapbox, now).
I want to thank all of the military who are currently serving over in Iraq and Afghanistan. I want all of you guys to stop and take a moment to think about what happened that day if you haven't already.
No comments:
Post a Comment