Thursday, April 1, 2010

This is not a joke.

When people ask how I'm doing, and I tell them I'm stressed about school, most of them ask how I can be stressed with school. Let me give you a little insight.

I had one class yesterday, which involved a critique. I was very happy with my images, but everyone in class knew it was going to be a rough critique because of other factors that happened throughout the previous week. The things we were worried about weren't as bad as we thought they would be. Some of the people in my class made stupid mistakes and got yelled at for it. As they should. My professor wasn't happy with how I cropped one of my images, but he didn't yell, and loved the other ones, so I was fine. 

However, this critique put me over the edge. I have one more project/critique in that class and I couldn't be happier. The teacher (now referred to as AHole), obviously plays favorites. It's such a load of BS that one guy won't get called out for not having the REQUIRED image (and never does get called out for anything), while another person will. What the hell? Then, AHole will randomly yell at the whole class for 15 minutes. He'll call us sons of bitches, dumb fucks, and anything else he feels like. I'm sure he thinks it will "inspire" us and make us want to work harder. You know what? It makes me want to slack off more and do everything at the last minute and half-assed.

And yes, this is the same professor who "teaches" my Senior Portfolio class and has stated numerous times that he decides if we graduate or not. So, ignoring his bullshit is easier said than done. I try and keep him happy by turning in nudes, since he's such a perv. (Thanks for being a good sport, Erin! I owe you a ton of froyo!) 

So, that's why I'm stressed about school.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Haha, honey, not many understand the plight of Artsy students. The constant inferiority complex and scrutiny. I'm sorry you're stressed darlin'. BUT! You're graduating soon, so yay!

Angela said...

I don't understand how he thinks berating and belittling you guys will make you want to work harder and turn into artistic geniuses! I'm all for a little tough love, but this is too much.

Anonymous said...

People who are like that shouldn't be teaching others. Going on a 15 minute tangent about how stupid everyone is isn't going to inspire people to do better work. What a jerk.

JB said...

I'm glad you can handle it. There's no way I'd survive. I made it ONE semester at FCCJ! lol

Erin said...

Woo! I know you're ready to graduate, but I'm going to kind of miss that school studio, haha. And I think you're work is MARVELOUS (but then again, I'm biased!).