Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The quarter life crisis.

Yesterday, the ever so lovely Katie [blogs] wrote a great post about the quarter life crisis and blog friends. Go check it out! She linked to this post by Emily. Katie talked about occasionally disagreeing, but also respecting those you disagree with. While I do agree with Katie about how some of her blog friends are some of her really good friends, I'm going to disagree with her on the quarter life crisis part.

I whole heartedly agree with Emily. I'm not understanding this "trend" of a quarter life crisis. I'm now 24, so I guess I qualify for being the right age for a QLC. But, you know what? I'm only 24. No, my life isn't going how I planned it. I am so happy it's not. If my life was going how I planned it 4 years ago, I'd be planning a wedding and saving up for a house. My goodness I'm happy I'm not planning a wedding and saving for a house. If I was doing all that, I wouldn't have been able to do all the traveling I did this summer. I wouldn't be rediscovering myself like I have been these past (almost) 9 months. If anything, I'm having the total opposite of a Quarter Life Crisis. And I'm absolutely loving every second of it.

Now, I'm not discounting anyone's QLC, but I personally think the whole thing is hokum (10 points if you got that reference). I'm going to enjoy life and leave the "crisis" to the middle aged men buying little red convertibles.

7 comments:

Mom said...

That's the spirit!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

You are young and have so much time ahead of you. Save your crisis for when you turn 40 and really start freaking out - lol.

xoxo
Jen

Anonymous said...

OMG this is the BEST POST YOU HAVE EVER WRITTEN.

OMG I LOVE IT.

Hokum= BBT <3

I agree with this post 110%

xo
-K

Anonymous said...

QLC doesn't have to be a terrible thing. It's just a point where you start doing things for you and making yourself a better person. Take you for example. You said it yourself; if you'd have stayed on the path you planned, you wouldn't be where you are at right now - "I wouldn't be rediscovering myself like I have been these past (almost) 9 months."

For some people, like myself, it's a complete downfall and rediscovery of yourself. For others, it's not the end of the world but something drastic happens and you set your mind to start doing things for you and making yourself a better person (ie your breakup with A).

All I'm saying is it's not a cut and dry situation. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, and the way I look at it is I'd rather have one now than when I'm 40. At 40 I hope I've got my ducks in a row and already living life, not finally discovering myself and trying to start over.

Anonymous said...

I think the word crisis is misleading. It has a negative connotation. I don't feel like I'm necessarily having a crisis; more like a reevaluation of my life. You are doing the same thing. You are traveling and discovering yourself and independence. It doesn't have to be about buying convertibles and freaking out about age. It has everything to do with reassessing your life, your goals, and yourself. You are just doing it in a positive way. :)

JB said...

I'm with you!

Feel free to travel to LA (lower Alabama) and add it to your list of travels. haha