Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine's Day

Today is Valentines Day. I'm actually looking forward to today (even though it has nothing to do with this dumb holiday). 

Last year I was not feeling this way. I was still freshly vulnerable from the breakup, and didn't want to talk to anyone. I avoided all social media, and most phone calls and texts. One of the few phone calls I did answer put me over the edge. My girl best friend called to tell me she just got engaged. I was happy for her, just in a bad place. 

This year? I won't be avoiding any of that (except while I'm in "work" and won't be allowed to have my cell in the building with me. More on that later). This afternoon, I'll be getting my hair done, chopping 5-6 inches off. Yesterday I treated myself to a movie I wanted to see, and gave myself an at home pedicure. Tonight I'll actually cook myself dinner and have a beer or two.

I've never really been a fan of Valentine's Day, even when I was dating someone. I've only been with 2 people on VDay. The first was my first boyfriend, and it was so long ago. The second? Well, we know how that turned out. He never showed much effort with this holiday. He always had flowers and chocolate covered strawberries, and a card. But, half the time, the card wasn't even signed, and I could just tell he did it just to make me happy. When he acted like that, it didn't make me happy. It actually made me sad.

Oh well. Enough about that asshat. 

I'm really looking forward to today, and I hope you all are, too. (I hope your Valentines Day is as sweet as you!)

No comments: